Tags: On Life and Love, abortion, business, education, exercise, feminism, Food, gross, Health, indiana, iphone, iWone, life, linkedin, media, medical, medicine, meditation, motherhood, race, racism, science, Society, texas, video, weight-issues
Not, of course, limited to Wednesdays. Today just happens to be one. …Barely.
I shall open with a video of Nayna, my belly dance instructor, from a couple of months ago:
I’m somewhere off to the left, wishing I’d brought my own camera. This was after class, so I don’t feel bad about watching my instructor dance instead of dancing myself.
- Posie Gets Cozy: Well, Things Fell Apart – Sadness.”For six days, as we waited for the results of the DNA test, we loved her with our whole hearts…”
- 10 things the iPhone Siri will help you get instead of an abortion | The Raw Story – “Ask in New York City, and Siri will tell you ‘I didn’t find any abortion clinics.'” Be sure to see the last line of the article.
- Adventures in Indiana State Fair Food 2011 | The Incidental Economist – An old TIE post (from August–somehow I missed it), but it made me so glad I’ve left Indiana behind. Just read about the… well, “food”.
- The Best and Worst Apartment Rental Sites – We may be moving again soon, and this is a good reference for the Hunt. I loathe the Hunt.
- Tuning out: How brains benefit from meditation – From P6: “The scans also showed that when the default mode network was active, brain regions associated with self-monitoring and cognitive control were co-activated in experienced meditators but not novices. This may indicate that meditators are constantly monitoring and suppressing the emergence of ‘me’ thoughts, or mind-wandering.”
- My TEDx Talk, “How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love Discussing Race.” – I totally ended up in an awkward “you aren’t a racist, what you said was racist” conversation/debacle last weekend. I, of course, immediately felt tongue-tied and awkward in confronting the woman’s use of the term “Jew fro”, and was left trying to console her that no, I didn’t extrapolate her use of a racism term to conclude that she was a “bad, racist” person.
- In Texas, Keeping Kids In School And Out Of Court : NPR – Apparently the send-em-to-court style of handling school offenses started after I got the hell up out of there, but it turns out that (surprise, surprise), charging kids with class-C misdemeanors and sending them to alternative schools doesn’t help improve their behavior or encourage them to stay in school and graduate. Who’d’ve thunk it?
And some body links, since I’m buffing (up) mine:
- When you may not wish to be “normal” :: stumptuous.com – “This is why, whenever I hear people say smugly, ‘Oh, body mass index doesn’t account for muscle,’ I want to ask them if they are actually hard-training NFL athletes or bodybuilders, because 99% of the time, BMI actually does correlate fairly well with % body fat.”
- Rant 61 April 2011: Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner: Confessions of a Feminist Nutritionist :: stumptuous.com – “So many people out there are suffering with poor health and a lack of body-mind-life integration, and these are linked closely with social inequality as well as a lack of personal self-determination. It is essential for us to develop new visions for fitness and wellness that have a social justice component.”