These are my links for April 26th through May 1st:
- Twenty Sided » Blog Archive » Do it again, stupid – I can't stand these DIAS types of games. I've dabbled in Tony Hawk, but only when I can beat levels on the first or second try, or when I can make my character fall in fun ways. Shamus perfectly explains why these games annoy the hell out of me.
- The 7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey – Page 7 | Cracked.com – Pretty good — and very funny — list of things video games need to be good and/or interesting.
- David Sirota: The Importance of Black Voters, and the Stupidity of Ignoring Them – Politics on The Huffington Post – 'For instance, though much of the African-American community is economically in the "working class," pundits and reporters use economic and other demographic distinctions only to describe white voters, while black voters are just "black voters"'.
- Bad Astronomy Blog » What does a nebula look like up close? – This is a pretty interesting video about — you guessed it, what a nebula would look like up close.
- A Four Year Old Reviews Grand Theft Auto IV « Live Granades – At first, I was like, "Oh, no!" and then I was like, "Tee, hee." I had to crank my volume for this.
- Batman's alignments – I don't like Batman, but I am a D & D lady, and I often chafe at the rigid interpretation some GMs take to the alignment system. I find this sort of thing interesting–how Batman fits all the D & D alignments, presumably over different eras of the comic.
- Art: French Artist Adds Scifi to Beautiful Photos – These are really freaky and really cool. I don't understand how the eyeball one or the face were done, but I'm not very good at graphics manipulation.
- Stimulus payments to go out ahead of schedule – Apr. 24, 2008 – Holla! How 'bout *that*?!
The upgrade to WordPress 2.5 meant that my plugin for posting links went away for a while. There may be a duplicate or two towards the bottom of this list, but I have culled it a bit.
- Big, Brass Ones: Threat Level exploits cross-site scripting bug on CIA.gov – Boing Boing Gadgets – This is pretty dang slick. I need to find out how they've done that, exactly.
- Twenty Sided » Blog Archive » JC Denton: Not Just a Tough Guy – The clothing of Deus Ex. "I felt ridiculous having these philosophical and political conversations while dressed as a Morpheus cosplayer."
- The Swamp: Obama: Won't ask, don't mind tellin' – Obama doing an interview with an LGBT magazine. The format of this article is awful, but I especially liked his stance that it's not the gov't's place to tell folks to "wait for [their] equality" with regards to marriage. Pragmatic, yet progressive.
- Still Alive? She?s Free. – If you've ever played Portal, this post may interest you. It's a look at the imagery of GlaDOS when you finally see her, and what the developers may have been trying to convey. Good stuff, and includes a nice drawing by the author.
- Front-Ahead Design – The Daily WTH – "If you?re not familiar with FAD, then you?ve been missing out. […] Not only does it surpass every other software development methodology out there, it solves every problem there is to building software."
- Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You?re in a Slump – The title says it all. I'm in a bit of one of these slumps myself, and am giving myself a kick in the pants.
Must Read: The Twenty Science Fiction Novels that Will Change Your Life
I’m going to see if the liberry has any of these books for my perusal. It’s been a minute since I’ve read a novel.
Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars: In case you are not yet convinced.
Interesting anecdotal evidence of Obama’s trustworthiness and character.