First thought: it’s so pretty!
Second thought: this is really slick. It’s the easiest OS install I’ve had since college, and is cake to get used to.
Vista was always hell to install, because I had an upgrade version. That meant I had to install Windows 2000, which broke my 500 GB hard drive into absurd partitions. Then, sitting at 640 x 480 in Windows 2000, I started the Vista install. Because Windows 2000 was 32-bit, I could only install 32-bit Vista. And because… oh, wait, I don’t know why… I couldn’t do a fresh install — I had to upgrade. Win 7 let me install 64-bit and a fresh install with no trouble.
Then again, I do dread having to reinstall my OS in the future.
Even aside from installation, I like it. I was able to easily turn down a slider to control how much I wanted the UAC to ping at me. It gently reminds me of things like setting up regular backups, which I appreciate.
Continue reading Windows 7 (professional)
The upgrade to WordPress 2.5 meant that my plugin for posting links went away for a while. There may be a duplicate or two towards the bottom of this list, but I have culled it a bit.
- Big, Brass Ones: Threat Level exploits cross-site scripting bug on CIA.gov – Boing Boing Gadgets – This is pretty dang slick. I need to find out how they've done that, exactly.
- Twenty Sided » Blog Archive » JC Denton: Not Just a Tough Guy – The clothing of Deus Ex. "I felt ridiculous having these philosophical and political conversations while dressed as a Morpheus cosplayer."
- The Swamp: Obama: Won't ask, don't mind tellin' – Obama doing an interview with an LGBT magazine. The format of this article is awful, but I especially liked his stance that it's not the gov't's place to tell folks to "wait for [their] equality" with regards to marriage. Pragmatic, yet progressive.
- Still Alive? She?s Free. – If you've ever played Portal, this post may interest you. It's a look at the imagery of GlaDOS when you finally see her, and what the developers may have been trying to convey. Good stuff, and includes a nice drawing by the author.
- Front-Ahead Design – The Daily WTH – "If you?re not familiar with FAD, then you?ve been missing out. […] Not only does it surpass every other software development methodology out there, it solves every problem there is to building software."
- Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You?re in a Slump – The title says it all. I'm in a bit of one of these slumps myself, and am giving myself a kick in the pants.