It’s been a loooong time since I posted some good reading.
- 5 Things I Learned as the Internet’s Most Hated Person | Cracked.com
- "I watched every avenue of social media suddenly blow up with messages of abject hatred from thousands of strangers. For the first five days, I couldn't sleep. Every time I would start to doze off, I'd be shocked awake from half-asleep nightmares about everyone I love buying into the mob's bullshit and abandoning me. The ceaseless barrage of random people sending you disgusting shit is initially impossible to drown out — it was constant, loud, and it became my life."
- They Are Not Trolls. They Are Men. | Make Me a Sammich
- "By calling these people “trolls,” we are basically letting them off the hook. It’s a lot like the “boys will be boys” mentality that helps to keep rape culture thriving, but it’s also different, because boys are expected to be human. By calling these people “trolls,” we relegate them to non-human status, and we make it clear that we don’t expect them to live up to the same behavioral standards as human beings." Continue reading Good reads
Honestly, I wouldn’t normally give some random internet video an entire blog post, but this… I’m… I’m still laughing at this. It’s brought such joy to me.
Every time I watch it, I see something new. First, it was the fact that the main singer is reminiscent of Pootie Tang, and that they surely pulled in Charlie Murphy for the other guy.
Then it was the ridiculous bodyrolls.
Then it was the words.
Then (thanks to Greg), it was the main singer’s stare. o_o
And so I invite you to get on the “Lemme Smang It” bandwagon.
This week’s internet cruising:
- EJ Flavors – Cupid’s Hunt 2012 – Lost And Found: The Lost – An excellent Valentine's Day mix by EJ Flavors. Yeah, I know it's barely even February anymore, but Angela Bofill's "I Try" puts chills up my spine whenever I hear it.
- Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year’s End – NYTimes.com – I'm totally going to want to be an early adopter of these. If they seem promising, it'd be worth switching to contact lenses for.
- World population statistics – I always like these types of infographics. ^_^
- Slavery By Another Name – I heard this on my local NPR station the other night, and was glad to hear the injustices of the prison system be spoken for all to hear, but in a calm and reasonable voice.
- What’s Wrong with the IGF « The Rotting Cartridge – "Eight (8) judges were assigned to Kale In Dinoland. Of those judges, 1 didn’t install the game or respond to any of our invitations (which we had to send multiple times before judges joined). 3 judges didn’t play the game. Of the remaining 5 judges that played the game, 3 played it very close to the IGF deadline, which was December 5th. […] Excluding the outlier, on average each judge – including the 3 that didn’t play it – played the game for almost 5 minutes’ time. […] So we’re talking almost 4 minutes for each judge of actual game time."
And now for a vibeo:
A little dated at this point, but wonderfully funny. I like Jay Smooth on politics.
- Some Quick Thoughts on "Until Abortion Ends" – YouTube – More Jay Smooth: "But the underlying logic of this protest is baffling. They seem to be hoping that women who’ve decided to seek an abortion will visit this site and say 'wow, if you feel strongly enough about this that you’re making the irrevocable life-changing decision of giving up Dr. Pepper, maybe I should reconsider having a child that I can’t support!'"
- Thought: Double Fine’s Kickstarter Asks Big Questions | Rock, Paper, Shotgun – "The reality is, people like to pay for stuff – in fact, they’ll go out of their way to pay for stuff, pay more than asked, and even for products that don’t yet exist, just in good faith."
- What I learned from watching people watching Notch – O! Mr Speaker! – "No one was delving on the irony of spending an hour or so arguing about which language is better for games, without noticing that an actual game was unfolding before their eyes. If only games were flamewar powered!"
- Mitt Romney: Susan G. Komen Was Right to Cut Planned Parenthood – The Huffington Post – Oops. Even The Susan G. Komen folks backed off of that one, Romney.
- Robot blurs biological boundaries | Addison County Independent – The last section of the article (on emotions) is particularly interesting.