It was marvelous. It was exhausting. I’m still sore. With everyone’s help, I raised $660 in the Hopebuilders 5k fundraiser. Thank you!
Saturday, at the surprisingly early-feeling 08:00 EST, me, Greg, Scott, Shelton, and Kim gathered in the morning chill. I was already leg-sore from a Jillian Michaels workout Friday night. (I do that workout on mute–something about her manner is so off-putting.)
Continue reading All 5 of Dem There K’s
This week’s internet cruising:
- Lymejello – Wow. Speaking of telling difficult stories. Lyme disease is apparently no joke. I remember seeing the photos in middle school health class–a ringed rash, warnings that it could kill untreated, but not that it was so damned debilitating.
- My Hopebuilders 5k page – Yeah, I'm a punk. Go donate and push me to run. If I meet my fund-raising goal, I'll run it hard.
- Tim Gunn Is A National Treasure – "[W]hen I visit department stores and I go to the shop that’s called “woman,” I am horrified! Horrified by the awful, degrading, disrespectful choices that women have."
- 10 Usability Tips Based on Research Studies – A very nice set of usability tips, including some debunking of common UX myths.
- YouTube vs. Fair Use – Apparently, YouTube is getting amazing at detecting copyrighted content. For better or worse.
- With New Rules In Place, Old Overdraft Gimmicks Under Fire – Ah, the old "reordering debits to maximize overdrafts" game. It's good to see it challenged.
- Ask BFD: How Do I Deal With Compliments On Weight Loss? – Because thinner does not equate to prettier.
- DarkPatterns.org – From Elf, this is a nice little collection of web… scams. Or UI trickery. Or something in between.
Bright and early on October 9, I’ll be walking in the Hopebuilders 5k here in Charlotte to help a local children’s hospital. Gotta help the chillun. I’m walking with an awesome team, The Kings and Queens of Pretty. No, that name wasn’t my idea.
…Okay, maybe it was.
See, what had happened wuz, everyone on the team makes pretty things: websites, games… websites… Anyway, the name works.
I did this one last year with some of the Skookum team, and it was a blast. This year, I’m going to mix it up a bit.
Over on the left of this-here blag (if you aren’t on a mobile device) is a progress bar. That’s my fund-raising progress. If I can meet my goal of $400, I’ll run the 5k. Like, best-I-can-do, guzzle-some-icky-Gatorade, sleep-the-rest-of-the-day-afterwards run it. I can’t promise a great time–I’ve never been a fast runner–but I can promise my best effort.
So here’s my “participant page”. And here are The Kings and Queens of Pretty.
I’ll update the progress bar as any donations come in, and I’ll post as I hit major milestones.
In the meantime, I’ll keep training to run it.