This week’s internet cruising:
Just a few:
- Passive voice is killing your design documents – " I would argue that if the goal is to communicate clearly, actually stating and explaining the uncertainties is going to be much more helpful to readers."
- The Size Of Our World – Bad graphical quality, but cool comparison.
- 6174 (number) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – Who comes up with stuff like this? Who sits around adding and subtracting numbers to find patterns?
- Ta Prohm temple at Angkor, Cambodia – Absolutely gorgeous.
- 8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live – I don't normally read the Onion (maybe I should!), but this struck me as a brilliantly-written article. For instance: "'This is no place to raise a kid, that's for sure,' said 32-year-old Brandon Rushing, a lifelong New Yorker. 'I grew up here and I turned into a giant asshole. Why would I want that for my son?'"
- Java Programmers are the Erotic Furries of Programming " Some Guy Ranting – A Programmer Hierarchy. As a budding Python programmer, I have no idea what he's talking about with regards to Python folks thinking they're better than PHP folks. …No idea at all.
- What fuels my passion for technology & writing code – Highlight: "I began having difficulty finding people to discuss ideas and thoughts with. When I did find someone who I could brainstorm and bounce ideas off of it was a very surreal feeling. I loved every minute of it and did not want to stop. Even today I have very few of these conversations but cherish the people I can have these conversations with. I enjoy my ideas being challenged. I enjoy being challenged, period. My level of excitement in these conversations are off the hook."
- A Showcase of Single Page Websites – I like pretty things. And creative things.
- Reader Story: How I Save Tons of Money by Grocery Shopping Once Every … – This sounds really, really awesome. If I were to implement it, it would take some changes in food style–Greg likes meat and I'm lazy about lunches–but it would probably be change for the better.
taking joy in human unreason