It’s been a while since I’ve done anything significant on my Granny Square Pattern Generator (GSC), and since I’ve already contributed to a game release this week, I figured I hadn’t quite checked enough “public-facing actions” boxes this week until I did some work on GSC.
Biggest missing feature (and biggest complaint!) is that blankets weren’t printable. Now they are!
Log in with something like Facebook or Twitter, generate a blanket, and save the blanket. When you look at the details of the blanket, you can now get it as a printable image, and toggle between the two styles of seeing the blanket.
My next task is to make authentication more seamless.
Continue reading Image Generation on Granny Squares
Many moons ago, I debuted my Granny Squares Color Pattern Generator, a utility to help crocheters randomize their blankets, which can be a daunting task.
I recently got a request for a way to help visualize the blanket that’s generated. It’s hard to work from a list of “r/h/p”-type entries. Not very user-friendly.
So I added in a color picker today, and the generator now shows the colors of the squares. As a warning, if you have a lot of very similar colors, the generated image may be difficult to work from. Then again, if your blanket’s in 15 shades of purple (yes, please!), you may not need this utility.
Continue reading Granny Squares, Now in Color
Having already made Gregory a blanket, my next task was to craft up some house socks for him. His current pair were worn to holeyness and ready to be replaced.
I dread the idea of working on super-fiddly projects, so I opted to go for a pair of crocheted socks using worsted weight yarn. Cotton, in my case, because acrylic on your feet would be for the birds. The main sock is black, and the heel is brown, despite Greg’s worrying singing of “Black Socks“. Plus, cotton crochets quite beautifully–no fuzz means the pattern shows very well.
The heel was disturbingly confusing to me, quite possibly because I had a raging sinus headache at the time. Once I realized that the sock as I’d been working it was inside out and I played around with how the heel would unfold, everything made sense. There were only about 7 stiches that closed up the heel, so it was totally worth stitching and unstitching to make sure I understood what would happen.
We shan’t talk about the extra stitches in the body of the sock I had to swallow up shortly therafter, though.
Continue reading First Ever Sock (and Other Yarning)
My knitting colleague E. made the (arguably) goofy decision to refresh her crocheting skills by taking on a granny squares blanket.
It’s a great idea for using up a ton of scrap yarn.
It’s not a great idea if you enjoyed the level of sanity you had when you started.
She quickly ran into the classic self-randomizing problem: given 20 different colored yarns of different weights, how do you put 3 different ones in each square while trying to keep the colors as random as possible? Sounds easy enough, but after 15 or so squares, it gets tricky. If you’re aiming for randomization, the last thing you want is a big diagonal of purple in your blanket when you’re done.
So E. appealed to me and asked me to write her a “script” to randomize her colors. I was on board, look forward to some Python/Django fun before I realized that what I’d been handed was a graph coloring problem with some fun restraints. (Turns out it was easy, but fun to think through.)
Before I get into the technical bits, go make a blanket or two. Then go find some esoteric method to contact me (or comment here) and let me know what you think, especially if you run into an issue.
Continue reading Chewing on Granny Squares
In a desperate crush this weekend, I finished Greg’s blanket. It wasn’t that I was four months late finishing it, it was that I was so. tired. of basketweave.
If I had to do one more damn repeat, I was probably going to put the thing on hiatus, silly as that would have been.
The finished product is long enough for Greg to stretch out and pretend to sleep under:
Continue reading Project Complete: Bir’day Blanket!