Um… it’ll make sense as you read.
- Amanda Hocking’s Blog: Some Things That Need to Be Said – From a successful self-published author: "This is literally years of work you're seeing. And hours and hours of work each day. The amount of time and energy I put into marketing is exhausting. I am continuously overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do that isn't writing a book. I hardly have time to write anymore, which sucks and terrifies me."
- The Very Rich Indie Writer – Novelr – Making People Read – Looking at the example of Amanda Hocking's financial success, will authors of web fiction start to close off their free writings and move to self-publishing under the lure of it being "easy"?
- From the Rich to the Poor (or, What I Learned in Africa) – A good hard look at a personal finance guru's trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe.
- Advice To Young Girls From Belle And The Little Mermaid | Alas, a Blog – "The longer you're stuck with someone, the more it'll feel like home… Stockholm!"
- Chatty’s Mailbag: Good Troll Hunting : Critical Hits – A good look at how to handle people who play trolls in game. …That is, who "roleplay" jerks. The author also mentions a tactic of explicit discussion of treasure handling, which I've never seen done before, but would like to try out.
- Wikileaks exposes illegal logging in Peru – "The revelation will embarrass several US DIY stores, who have all admitted to Survival that they continue to import Amazonian hardwoods. Home Depot, Lowe’s and Lumber Liquidators have all confirmed they use the timber in their products." Not the act, but the revelation, of course.
- Google’s self-driving cars take TED attendees for a wild ride … – I didn't know Google was doing this! These videos don't give a good idea of how complicated the cars are to setup with a course/destination, so this could have been a painfully manual process to get the car to run the course.
- University to let men and women share dorm rooms in ‘gay friendly’ move (.. – I wonder how long it'll take my old, conservative college to pick up this idea.
- Court: Anti-Gay Families Can’t be Foster Parents « FOX News Radio – I almost don't want to link to Fox News as a matter of principle, but I couldn't find the article anywhere else in a quick search.
It's interesting how people (in comments there and commentary elsewhere) are taking this up as an example of bias against Christians and arguing that this wouldn't happen to a Muslim family. Maybe Muslim-related politics in the U.K. are complicated, but it seems that here the courts were ruling based on the specific anti-homosexuality belief, regardless of where it originated.
- Taking care of a finance-ignorant older spouse – A forum post: "If I were an 80-year old male Boglehead with a 75-year old female spouse — who did not understand and did not wish to understand personal finance — how would I financially provide for my wife after my death?"