First Ever Sock (and Other Yarning)

Having already made Gregory a blanket, my next task was to craft up some house socks for him. His current pair were worn to holeyness and ready to be replaced.

I dread the idea of working on super-fiddly projects, so I opted to go for a pair of crocheted socks using worsted weight yarn. Cotton, in my case, because acrylic on your feet would be for the birds. The main sock is black, and the heel is brown, despite Greg’s worrying singing of “Black Socks“. Plus, cotton crochets quite beautifully–no fuzz means the pattern shows very well.

The heel was disturbingly confusing to me, quite possibly because I had a raging sinus headache at the time. Once I realized that the sock as I’d been working it was inside out and I played around with how the heel would unfold, everything made sense. There were only about 7 stiches that closed up the heel, so it was totally worth stitching and unstitching to make sure I understood what would happen.

We shan’t talk about the extra stitches in the body of the sock I had to swallow up shortly therafter, though.

…First sock!

It went really fast, which is nice. One more gaming session, and the second sock should be done. More satisfying than a dice bag (cute though that one is), less agonizing than a blanket, even a piecemeal one.

The addition of a new afghan pattern book to my (now 4-book) library means that I’ll soon have more pretty things to give away.

Edit: Finished the sock late last night!

Weekly Linkage: Travel, Doctors, and Bat Wings

I spent a fair amount of last week (and all of this weekend) sick, so I spent very little time on the wibbles aside from work. Found a few fun tidbits, though:

Minor bug fix release of d20 Spell Lists – v0.1.4293

Downloadable from The Charon Sheet. (Also, I’m currently reading The Principles of Beautiful Web Design so’s I can make TCS less sucky and more purdy. Expect design changes there as I learn how to do this crap from scratch.)

Only two issues fixed, but they were kinda show-stoppers for the affected folks. Details on the issues fixed.

Belly Dance Is Back!

Last December, Nayna found herself without a dance studio, making it rather difficult to teach class. All of her students–me being just shy of one year and ready to move to intermediate–dispersed woefully.

We spent all of 2011 nagging the hell out of her.

For some reason, Greg-the-cat doesn't like jinglies.Ten months later (?!), she’s back with an email to the masses the day before classes began. So tonight I dug my hip scarf out from the back of my underwear drawer and giddily bounced my way to the pole-dancing studio where she held class tonight.

It was awesome. It was amazing. It was like the first time, except with that fun disjointed experience of your mind knowing what to do and your body almost sure it remembers how to follow. If I want to move up to intermediate (which I totally do), I’ve got to get all that in sync before I get bored and wander off.

Continue reading Belly Dance Is Back!

eTapestry API: Recurring Donations

I spent long enough trying to puzzle out whether I should use Recurring Gifts vs. Recurring Gift Schedules in the eTapestry API that I figured it was worth a short post.

The goal was to handle recurring donations. Every month, Suzy wants to donate $10 to Cool NPO. It’s not a pledge, in that she’s not dedicating herself to $120 for one year. Just $10/month. (Forever! Bwua-ha-ha!)

Continue reading eTapestry API: Recurring Donations