It’s been a loooong time since I posted some good reading.
- 5 Things I Learned as the Internet’s Most Hated Person | Cracked.com
- "I watched every avenue of social media suddenly blow up with messages of abject hatred from thousands of strangers. For the first five days, I couldn't sleep. Every time I would start to doze off, I'd be shocked awake from half-asleep nightmares about everyone I love buying into the mob's bullshit and abandoning me. The ceaseless barrage of random people sending you disgusting shit is initially impossible to drown out — it was constant, loud, and it became my life."
- They Are Not Trolls. They Are Men. | Make Me a Sammich
- "By calling these people “trolls,” we are basically letting them off the hook. It’s a lot like the “boys will be boys” mentality that helps to keep rape culture thriving, but it’s also different, because boys are expected to be human. By calling these people “trolls,” we relegate them to non-human status, and we make it clear that we don’t expect them to live up to the same behavioral standards as human beings." Continue reading Good reads
Just a few links and a vibeo as I get back into the swing of things.
This guy's pretty damn good. The De Niro impression got me, as I was just watching Ronin a few days ago.
Continue reading Funny Voices, Funny Lists, and GUCCI
It’s been a hot minute since I posted any links. Apparently this is also the Elf Sternberg addition, since three of his posts appear here. Good stuff.
- Lands of Dream Donation Drive – Jonas is doing one of the coolest donation drive ideas I’ve seen. Donate, and receive a detailed description and beautiful picture from the Lands of Dream. What in the hell is the Lands of Dream? Go play The Book of Living Magic. Took me about an hour (I read every description!), and everything about it is gorgeous: the art, the writing, and the music. Then take a look at some of the art/writing that Verena and Jonas are producing as part of their drive.
Then donate. (Mine is in the queue, and I’m so excited to see what I get!)
- Embracing pain | dooce® – “What this therapy enabled me to do as well was hold that blight in my bare hands and cover it with tears. Because the Heather who had mounted all those excuses would have acknowledged it, tipped her hat, and moved right along. Too much to get done to dwell on such things.”
- Elf M. Sternberg – On picking up Stoicism… – My own struggle with Buddhism separation from other people led me to examine the idea of the Bodhisattva, but that feels… arrogant. Elitist. Dragging people to enlightenment. I don’t like it when skeptics who are assholes do it, so why would I want to join the party?
I’ve become too much of a people person to want to detach and be a pure observer. I’m not sure that Stoicism is a good fit for me, but after reading Elf’s account, my curiosity is piqued. Continue reading Weekly Linkage: Art, Science, and Spirituality
Whycome pricing out independent health insurance is so confusing?
Seriously. I have a spreadsheet, and for each plan I look at, I end up with some new column that I then need to backfill for the plans I’ve already looked at.
Whycome some don’t cover birth control? Or maternity? Take a stance, companies. You’re already charging more for women in childbearing years.
Whycome a plan can have a $3000-$5000/per person deductible, but not be considered a high-deductible plan (and thus eligible for an HSA), and there still be a coinsurance after the damn deductible?
Whycome some of them have documentation that mentions using an HSA for certain things, but the plan is a PPO and clearly isn’t HSA-eligible?
Who thought all this was a good idea?
I spent a fair amount of last week (and all of this weekend) sick, so I spent very little time on the wibbles aside from work. Found a few fun tidbits, though: