I love how just one day after I posted a link about racism in D & D, I played in the most racist D & D game (one-shot) I’ve ever had the misfortune of being in.
Every Halfling was a “peck” (I don’t really get that), we were reminded again and again about how dwarves are so “resourceful” and “industrious”, and well, you know how those swamp women are. Half-elves aren’t just half-elves, they’re disgusting half-breeds, and the NPCs had to play up asking the full elves whether they’d be willing to work with one.
I think the GM was going for gritty realism — after all, real people are racist and sexist and crude — but it fell pretty flat with some of the crowd, I think. Greg, who played a Halfling, made a point of having his character (upon being called a “Peck” for about the third time) say, “Do you realize that that’s a derogatory term for us? We prefer to be called Riverfolk, if you would.”
I left shortly thereafter, but I’m told things got a little better after that.
Continue reading More D & D racism
Links for April 21st from 15:32 to 22:38:
- Michael Jackson's Credit Card – Another absolutely hilarious prank. Read all four pages for a gut-buster of an prank.
- The Visa Prank – I'd never heard of this prank site before, but this Visa prank is hilarious. Read all three pages of it.
- Language of the Perpetual Poor | Frugal Dad – I knew a few of these "perpetual poor" types when I was growing up (especially in extended family), but happily, my parents weren't this way. It's a heart-breaking list to read, to me, because I have an acquaintance or two who keep themselves down.
- Top reasons people don?t budget – This is a really good listing of reasons why people don't budget, including, of course, ways to overcome those obstables.
- The Simple Dollar » Sunday Conversation #1 – Holy crap. This man saved 53% of his net 2007 income. Now, I have a friend who lives like this, and it works really well for him. Alas, it's hard to talk to him about money, but I find this sort of thing inspirational.
- Twenty Sided » Blog Archive » Print Job – This is a hilarious tale of a wayward printer, followed by a rant against modern printers. My laser printer does decently well at being a printer, despite its tendency to overheat and fake jams when he's given ginormous jobs while sitting on carpet.
- Ludus Novus :: Race and Responsibility – WO offers up an opinion of the Resident Evil 5 race issue. "Games are art. Artists have a social responsibility to try and prevent their work from promoting or encouraging ideas they believe are evil or undesirable."
Links for April 21st from 13:38 to 13:46: