Tags: On Life and Love, aliens, babies, breast-feeding, design, development, fiction, from fb, from twitter, gaming, gender, hacking, Humor, i18n, java, languages, linkedin, localization, oop, optimization, productivity, programming, project-management, python, security, sexism, tiny-things, tinylife, turkey, video games, women
I think the last time I posted a link dump, I was flaking from my new tattoo. This week, I’m flaking from the tattoo’s touch-up! Much less pain for the touch-up, but the itching may drive me nuts if it doesn’t end soon.
Luckily, it’s healing very quickly.
Have some good reading:
- Tony and Hilary’s Tiny Loft Apartment – I feel like it's been forever since I read The Tiny Life blog, but what a purdy little house to come back to.
- Six Thoughts On The Case Of The Breast-Feeding Professor | Alas, a Blog – "The child was allowed to crawl on a floor! Shocking! She had to take a paper clip out of its mouth! Shocking! Etc, etc. Makes me wonder if these people have ever met an actual infant. Seriously, the things are like a cross between a stumbling drunk and a vacuum cleaner."
- Emptyage — Yes, I was hacked. Hard. – The more personal telling of the @mat hacking.
- S.Lott-Software Architect: Performance "Tuning": running in 1/100th the time – "The idea of 'tweaking' a working program to improve performance is generally misleading. It might happen, but the impact is minuscule at best. [...] Generally, reduce Cyclomatic Complexity."
- It's Becoming Clear That No One Actually Read Facebook's IPO Prospectus Or Mark Zuckerberg's Letter To Shareholders
- Bill Clinton Asserts Democrats Create More Jobs: Reality Check – At the DNC. Political fact-check with a surprise ending.
- What Successful Night Owls Get Done Before Bed | Fast Company – "To be effective late, he says, you need to believe what you're doing is giving you an edge on the competition. "As Childish Gambino says, ‘While they be sleeping I'll be on to that new $hit.’""
- Please turn on two-factor authentication – This includes a terrifying tale (well, a link to it), along with a list of services that support 2-factor auth.
- Are you a procrastinator? – Stanford professor argues that procrastinating isn't so bad.
- A Rare Tiny-Home Specimen in Sweden – With a reptilian skin and unusual architecture, this small home focuses on nature and simple living.
- Sitting is Making You Fat and Killing You – If/when I work from home full-time, I'd love to have a standing desk.
- What is the Mars Curiosity Rover's software built in? – Programmers StackExchange
- New Programming Jargon – My team is probably going to start using some of these, if only to confuse the PMs and LOB.
- Buttersafe – Hopscotch – I'll never look at hopscotch the same way again… http://t.co/biTYYQj0
- Stevey’s Blog Rants: Execution in the Kingdom of Nouns – "In the remotest regions, beyond the Functional Kingdoms, lies a fabled realm called Lambda the Ultimate. In this place it is said that there are no nouns at all, only verbs! There are 'things' there, but all things are created from verbs, even the very integers for counting lambs, which are the most popular form of trading currency there, if the rumors speak truth."
- http://irrs.in/OlgRaG – Two Lists You Should Look at Every Morning – Peter Bregman – Harvard Business Review http://t.co/eLTgSWfD
- Software Inventory – Joel on Software – "When I hear about product teams that regularly have “backlog grooming” sessions, in which they carefully waste a tiny amount of time and mental energy every day or every week thinking about every single feature which will never be implemented, I want to poke my eyes out."
- Outside Your Heaven: Is It That Hard to Make A Decent ‘Aliens’ Game? – "What every single Aliens game forgets is that Ripley – the civilian – is the goddamn hero, not the fucking marines. The fact that video game developers have such a hard-on for simulating the experience of being a marine proves how utterly this industry has missed the point of the film. The colonial marines aren't cool. They aren't badass. They are stupid. Under pressure they fall to pieces – they fucking lose – and a civilian has to save their ass."
- The Turkish Ä° Problem and Why You Should Care